Monday 4 April 2011

Leaving a little gift

     One more English geocaching post.  Every geocacher should set out their own caches.  That's how the game works!  The ideal time to do this is when you first arrive at a place that you will call home, because you should be there to take care of this.  Of course, that is not what I have done.  With my departure from the UK imminent, and knowing that I was leaving a geocaching friend behind, I decided to establish a cache on Thanet as a parting gift, although this is a bit strong - there is still  a possibility I will return.
     But where?  So many of the caches I had encountered were clever as caches, or in interesting places, or both.  My friend and I finally decided that a great place to put the cache would be at a particularly interesting pub that we visited from time to time - The Brown Jug.  Evidence of the existence of the Brown Jug goes back to 1725, and it probably served as a farm cottage well before then. There is further evidence that the Inn served as a mess hall and rallying point for militia at the turn of the 18th century and as a halfway house on the road between Ramsgate and Broadstairs in the 19th century. We also liked the owner/operator (she had been there for 50 years!) and the beer!  So I got some stuff together and we stuffed the cache into some bushes across the street.  It was published on June 27th of 2010 and has, at this point, been found by 37 geocachers (and missed by 3).  I hope it has brought the place some business.  Drop by if you are in the neighborhood.  They say there is a ghost that lives in the garden  (the cache is called "Re-routing Ramsgate"  http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=78cca772-33dd-4018-b74a-cdb3e2e7f239)

No comments:

Post a Comment